The Urban Grape’s mission is to create community, memories, and joy through the experience of beverage. One of the many ways in which we do this is through our Urban Community program.
Founded in 2016, Urban Community establishes month-long campaigns with non-profit organizations in the neighborhoods surrounding the South End, with the mission of expanding their outreach, awareness and fundraising efforts. We culminate our month of giving with an open invitation to a community wine tasting event in celebration of the organization. These meaningful partnerships between non-profit organizations, The Urban Grape, and other local businesses are our way of building something meaningful through which all of us can better the communities in which we live.
THIS MONTH’S PARTNER: Childe Hassam Park
The South End is lucky to have a vibrant system of parks throughout the neighborhood, one of the newest of which, Childe Hassam Park, is just across the street from The Urban Grape. With the spring flowers pushing through the dirt and the flowering trees coming into bloom, we figured May was the perfect month to help raise money for the park’s maintenance and expanded cultural programming.
It took many years and the dedication of countless South End residents to turn the one decrepit corner of Columbus Avenue and Chandler Street into an urban oasis. The purpose of the park is to celebrate the South End’s character and historic architecture, as well as the artists, residents, and community visionaries who have made it among Boston’s most vibrant, inviting, and diverse neighborhoods. The long-term goal of the park is to provide funds for its upkeep for generations to come. In the meantime, the park facilitates neighborhood and education activities that showcase the park’s many attributes.
Here are some ways that you can help to support the Childe Hassam Park this spring and summer:
- Join Childe Hassam Park and The Urban Grape for the opening of the park on Thursday, May 25th. We’ll be partying on both sides of the street, with live music in the park, and a free wine tasting at the store, with a portion of that evening’s sales going to the park. We’ll also be displaying art work by Liliana Marquez and Laura Bravo-Melguizo at the store!
- Mark your calendars for Saturday, June 17th at 3 pm for the South End’s Fête de la Musique, a multi-park musical experience and block party with outdoor music, food and activities!
- Visit the park every Wednesday from June 28th to August 9th at 9 am for their ongoing children’s music series. This is a wonderful, free, and easy way to introduce your children to music!
- Enjoy free music on September 16th and October 14th, as part of the park’s fall music series.
- Purchase our Cheers to Community Wines during the month of May and UG will donate 10% of the proceeds back to the park.
- Donate directly to the park – any amount is welcome!
Celebrating music, art, and a beautiful park in the South End – this is what community is all about!LEARN MORE
CHEERS TO COMMUNITY: THIS MONTH’S WINES
2016 Winc and Yes Way Rosé “Summer Water Rosé” (Central Coast, CA) –$22
This pale pink (some might even say Millennial Pink?) rosé is lighthearted and destined for a good time. Made of Grenache and Syrah from the Central Coast of California, these early harvest grapes were bursting with natural acidity. The resulting wine is light, crisp, and dry, with notes of strawberry, pink grapefruit, and white peach!
2014 Winc “Chop Shop” Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles, CA) – $18
Chop Shop Cab pairs with all of your favorite every day staples like burgers and BBQ for easy and effortless drinking. This wine is crowd-pleasing and super-versatile with flavors of cherry, strawberry, cocoa and herbs.
You can help us support the important work of our partner by stopping by the store to purchase our “Cheers to Community” wines; 10% of the proceeds of these wines will be given to Childe Hassam Park at the end of the month.
CELEBRATE THE OPENING OF CHILDE HASSAM PARK!
Join us for this month’s Urban Community wine tasting!
Wine, music, art, and some time well-spent outdoors – what more could you ask for?! Join us as we celebrate the seasonal opening of Childe Hassam Park with live music at the park, and a free art show and wine tasting at The Urban Grape. Now let’s just hope for a little sunshine and warm weather!
Thursday, May 25 at 5pm
The Urban Grape and Childe Hassam Park
303 Colombus Ave, Boston, 02116
BECOME A PARTNER
Want to partner with Urban Community? Contact us here!